Yarn bombed Tree Jumper exhibition
20 - 30 July 2017
Jumpers & Jazz in July is an art lover’s delight. Warwick’s CBD streets are transformed into a living gallery with our trees dressed in charming textile artworks. It is easy to enter the competition to be in the running to win a cash prize. Anyone can participate with entries coming from near and far each year that are flamboyant, colourful, heart-warming and often comical.
Sections and Prizes
Section 1: Open Entry $500
No specific theme or set materials.
Section 2: Excellence in Knitting
and/or Crochet $500
No specific theme. Entry must be created using mainly knitting or crochet or a combination of both.
Section 3: Festival Theme $500
Create a tree jumper inspired by the word “Meander”.
Section 4: Hall of Fame $500
This award will be presented to an entrant who has excelled in the art of yarn bombed tree jumper creation. Selected from all entries in
sections 1, 2 & 3
AWARD Best Community Group Entry in the Official Tree Jumper Competition
Not for profit community groups and schools will be eligible for this award when they tick the box on the entry form.
AWARD Decorated School Trees in School Grounds
Schools are encouraged to decorate the trees in their grounds inspired by the word “POP”
1. Trees are allocated by Warwick Art Gallery. Special requests will be considered but not guaranteed.
2. Entries must be designed as artwork and strictly must not contain promotional material of any type.
3. Security guards will patrol the exhibition overnight. Enter at your own risk. Ensure that your entry does not have elements that will affect the safety of others.
4. Any material can be used as long as it can withstand cold, wind, sun and rain. You can use traditional textiles or be inventive with recycled materials. In the interests of our environment we ask that you do not include laminated elements in your tree jumper. Plastic laminated paper tends to be blown around in the wind often ending up in our streets and gutters. Judges will be informed of this condition when they do the judging.
How to Participate
1. Choose a section:
- 1. Open Entry
- 2. Excellence in Knitting and/or Crochet
- 3. Festival Theme (Meander) or
- Decorated School Tree.
2. Register using the REGISTRATION FORM
. Register early especially if you have a request for a particular tree location or size. Requests will be considered but not guaranteed. Schools are eligible to enter in both the Official Tree Jumper exhibition in the CBD and Decorated School Trees competition - make sure you tick the right boxes on the form. To be considered for the Community Group award, you must tick the Community Group box on the form.
3. Please pay our ENTRY FEE OF $15 to support insurance and security costs associated with the exhibition. Decorated trees in school grounds will not be charged a fee.
4. You will receive a registration package once you have been allocated a tree. Make sure you RETURN ALL THE COMPULSORY FORMS by the due date 16 June 2017.
5. Set aside time on Wednesday 19 July to INSTALL YOUR TREE JUMPER. This is always a fun and exciting day as our streets come alive with colour and creativity. If you are unable to set up your own tree please contact Warwick Art Gallery well in advance and we will make arrangements for our volunteers to help.
Tree Jumper registrations close for Warwick CBD businesses
All other registrations close. Early registrations will be given priority; however we may still have trees available after this date. Please contact us to check on availability of trees.
17 March - 19 May
Trees are allocated and participants notified. Participants will receive safety, copyright and label information forms.
by 16 June
Closing date for the return of all the above mentioned forms for tree jumper entries.
Wednesday 19 July
All trees to be set up ready for viewing.
Thursday 20 July
Jumpers & Jazz in July festival begins!
Friday 21 July
Judging of CBD street trees by Jacqui Fink
Saturday 22 July
Announcement of the winners of the yarn bombed tree jumper competition at Jazz @ the Gallery. A change for this year’s festival but a great one. Please join us at this free event in the garden outside Warwick Art Gallery for a day focussed on celebrating artists and yarnbombing.
Tuesday 25 July
Judging of school grounds trees
4pm Sunday 30 July Jumper dismantling begins